One suspect found to be in the U.S. illegally


IMLAY CITY — Three people have been arrested, one of whom may possibly not be legally in the United States, following an alleged incident in the Imlay City area that involved an alleged breaking and entering call over the weekend.

According to a department press release from Chief Brett Selby, two Imlay City officers responded to the 170 block of Capac Road shortly after 5 p.m. Sunday.

Chief Selby said officers responded to emergency calls for service to the area of the 170 block of Capac Rd. around 5:15 p.m.

According to a report on the incident, the emergency calls for service came from one of the victims involved in the incident, who was still in the home at the time of the breaking and entering/assault which apparently was still in progress.

Chief Selby said after three Hispanic males allegedly entered the Capac Rd. home through an unlocked door, two Hispanic males that were in the home were immediately assaulted.

The three offenders left the scene prior to officer’s arrival.

Within minutes, two Imlay City police officers arrived on-scene and were told the three men who broke in the home and assaulted the two men, were believed to be residents of a trailer park in the 2000 block of S. Almont Avenue in Imlay City.

Officers rendered aid to the victims, who had sustained multiple injuries, until EMS personnel arrived to transport both men.

Chief Selby said both men went to the hospital with multiple serious injuries.

After clearing the scene of the alleged attack, Imlay City officers responded to the 2000 block of S. Almont Ave. in Imlay City to look for the offenders.

Imlay City officers discovered at least one of the offenders knew one of the homeowner/occupants at the location of the alleged attack on Capac Rd.

Through their investigation, police believe the alleged incident likely occurred because of an automobile swap that did not include a title.

Chief Selby said further investigation has shown at least one of the three arrested offenders appears not to be a legal U.S. citizen.

The alleged offenders were all transported and lodged in the Lapeer County Jail and were awaiting arraignment and further court action.

Early Tuesday afternoon, Chief Selby gave an update on the case, saying the three had appeared in Court earlier in the day and were only charged with Aggravated Assault & Battery. More serious charges had been requested, but denied. Two of the three remain in jail with a high bond.

Imlay City police continue their investigation and further charges are pending, according to Chief Selby.