Almont woman dies from injuries in fight over a man


44-year old Raquelle Casillas is facing open murder charges.

CAPAC — Residents of the Village of Capac were shocked as news slowly circulated about an alleged incident that took place within the village limits in the early morning hours of Tuesday, June 6.

According to the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Department, a 44-year- old Mussey Township woman is behind bars and facing open murder charges as a result of the incident.

Deputies were dispatched to an undisclosed location on South Main Street in Capac around 4 a.m. last Tuesday.

Upon their arrival, deputies spoke with a 44-year-old male who lives at the location and was the one who reported the scuffle between the women.

Investigators say the man reported an assault had taken place earlier in the evening (Monday) and that one of the subjects involved was not waking up after the alleged incident.

Deputies discovered a 44-year-old Almont woman who was unconscious but still breathing. Upon further searching of the home, a second 44-year-old woman was found and taken in to custody.

According to a press release from the Sheriff’s Department, the two women had allegedly been disputing, on and off for several days, over a shared relationship with the male subject within the home on Main Street.

Deputies said the Almont woman and the Mussey Township woman had apparently gotten in to a fight and the Almont woman was taken to McLaren Regional Hospital for treatment of serious, life-threatening injuries.

Officials say the facility’s medical team found the woman to have sustained severe head trauma as a result of the alleged altercation.

The woman passed away two days later, on Thursday morning, as a result of her injuries, according to police.

Raquelle Casillas, 44, of Mussey Township was arrested by deputies as a result of the alleged incident and was lodged in the St. Clair County jail.

She was arraigned and booked on open murder charges and had any possibility of bond denied.

Casillas remains jailed and is awaiting further court action.

The case remains under investigation by the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Department.