Chief Selby said department vigilant in response to incident
IMLAY CITY — Imlay City Police Chief Brett Selby released the following information pertaining to Friday’s (Oct. 7) incident involving a 15-year-old boy who had run away from his home in Romeo.
Chief Selby reported that at around 10 a.m., Imlay City Police were advised by Michigan State Police Special Investigations Section that they were looking for a Bruce Township teenage boy who had walked away from a court-ordered mental health facility in the Metro Detroit area.
Selby said Imlay City police were able to track the missing youth when he used his cell phone at an Imlay City business on Cedar St.
“This subject never made any threats to harm other family members, strangers, any of our school students or staff or anyone in our community,” said Selby. He noted, however, that subject had previously threatened to take pills and hurt himself while in treatment at the facility.
“Thankfully, while working closely with Michigan State Police, our officers found him to be in good health.”
Selby reported that Imlay City Schools were briefly placed in “secure mode” as a precaution.
“Schools go to a secure mode when there is a threat outside the building, or a non-threatening circumstance where people need to be kept away from areas for a medical emergency or other disturbance.
“Had this individual entered one of our schools, it could have delayed his return and treatment for several more hours.”
Selby added that the police department will remain vigilant and provide transparency to quickly to dispel any rumors that may misinform the public.
Tom Wearing started at the Tri-City Times in 1989, covering the Village of Capac as a beat reporter. He later served stints as assistant editor and editor. Today, he covers Imlay City and Almont as a staff writer. He enjoys music and plays drums and sings with various musical groups in the Detroit Metropolitan area.