Plenty of outdoor events on tap for area residents
DRYDEN — Spring back into the great outdoors and all things nature at Seven Ponds Nature Center this month.
A variety of programs are on tap as the month unfolds. All programs—unless otherwise indicated—are free to Seven Ponds’ members and just $3 for non-members. Advance registration is required. Register at www.sevenponds.org.
Residents of all ages are welcome to take part in the following offerings:
• Thursday, April 14 at noon: Seven Ponds Challenge Hike. Participants will take part in a four mile trail loop that features lakes, forest, wetlands and a tall grass prairie. Participants should bring water and wear good hiking shoes for the trails.
• Saturday, April 16 at 10 a.m. is Invasive Species Work Day. Volunteers are invited to work in the nature center’s demonstration gardens near the building to spruce them up for the coming season. Tools will be provided. Participants should bring gloves and water.
• Sunday, April 17 at 2 p.m.: Spring Wildflower Walk. Participants will walk the trails and venture into the Woodland Wildflower area to seek out wildflowers that grow at the nature center.
• Wednesday, April 20 through Wed., May 25 from 6-7 p.m. is ‘Yoga at the Ponds with Peaceful Moon Yoga.’ The beginner/Basic Yoga class takes participants through the mind, body, spirit aspect of mindful movement in the serene environment of the nature center. The series focuses on improving strength, flexibility and balance, as well as reducing stress and connecting with inner peace. Cost is $10; $50 for the entire series.
• Saturday, April 23 at 9 a.m.: Birding for Beginners. All backyard bird watchers and enthusiasts are welcome to learn more at this session. Participants will practice observation skills with binoculars to spot the birds of Seven Ponds. No experience necessary.
• Saturday, April 30 at 7:30 p.m. is “Frog-tacular.” The “Frog and Toad Survey” includes a night of surveying the Seven Ponds frog and toad species of the center’s Jonathan Woods property. Participants will meet at the nature center building and drive to the property. Space is limited, pre-registration strongly encouraged.
Visit www.sevenponds.org for reservations and/or more information.