ICFD is assisted at the scene by neighboring departments


IMLAY CITY — Two residents escaped with their lives Sunday (Nov. 14) evening, when a fire broke out in their home on Doran Road.

Imlay City Asst. Fire Chief Matt Makedonsky said firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire in the 400 block of S. Doran Rd.

Makedonsky reported that both occupants were able to exit the home, though one of them sustained fire-related injuries.

“Both occupants evacuated the home, but one was transported by EMS for smoke inhalation and minor burns,” said Makedonsky, who added that “heavy smoke was coming from the rear of the home” upon the arrival of firefighters.

“It appears the fire started in an attached family room,” he continued. “Fire crews were able to stop the spread of fire to the rest of the home.”

Makedonsky said the Imlay City Fire Dept. was assisted at the scene by firefighters from Almont, Goodland, Attica, as well as Lapeer County Sheriff’s deputies and Lapeer County EMS.

“The firefighters did a great job,” Makedonsky said. “They were able to stop the fire at the family room and save the rest of the home.”

Winter fire safety

With winter approaching and temperatures dropping, some families resort to using alternate heating sources to warm their homes and buildings.

Makedonsky advises that every home be equipped with functioning smoke detectors to ensure their safety.

“We want to remind residents that if you are in need of a smoke detector, to contact me at the fire hall at 810-721-6262.