Imlay City firefighters were in training session at time of fire
IMLAY CITY — Imlay City Fire Capt. Scott Stone has provided details from Monday’s Sept. 27 fire in an apartment dwelling on Bancroft St.
He said Imlay City firefighters had been training at the fire hall, when they were dispatched around 8:15 p.m. to a reported structure fire in the the 200 block of Bancroft Street.
Stone said that when firefighters arrived at the scene, heavy smoke was coming from the upper apartment.
He noted that fire crews responded quickly and were able to immediately limit the fire’s spread.
“The fire started in a bedroom near an electrical outlet and was contained to that room,” said Stone. “Smoke detectors were present in the house and had activated, alerting the residents of the fire.”
Stone said all occupants got out safely, and fire damage was limited due to the immediate response of firefighters.
“This allowed fire crews to be on scene within five minutes of the call,” Stone said.
The Imlay City Fire Department was assisted at the scene by firefighters from Attica Twp., Goodland Twp., Lapeer County EMS and the Imlay City Police Department.
Stone said the American Red Cross representatives responded and were able to provide secure housing and supplies for the five- member family that was living in the apartment; as well as a single renter from an apartment on the lower level.
However, the building was declared uninhabitable due to smoke and water damage.
“The presence of working smoke detectors in this residence saved a family from tragedy tonight,” Stone said after the fire. “I cannot stress enough the importance of having working smoke detectors in your house or apartment.”
Free smoke alarms
Both Stone and Fire Chief Rick Horton reminded Imlay City residents that smoke detectors are available by contacting the Imlay City Fire Dept. at 810-724-6262.
“We will be able to give you free smoke detectors and can help install them if you need help with that,” said Stone.