The building, originally constructed in the 1930s, has sat mostly vacant since 2016. A total of four bids were submitted.

Bidder’s offer was highest, considered “best”

CAPAC — Although details have not yet been disclosed, Capac Community Schools is one step closer to selling the former Middle School.

At their May 20 meeting, the Board of Education approved a proposed purchase agreement with the highest of four bidders for the historic structure.

Once the agreement is signed by all parties involved, details of the purchase will be made public, Supt. Jeff Terpenning said.

“I believe all three sides should be happy with the outcome,” Terpenning said, in reference to the school district, purchaser and village of Capac who own the property the school sits on.

Previously, the district said they would consider aspects other than just price when it came to the bids. Terpenning said the bid selected was both the highest and “best” for a number of reasons.

Terpenning said he still has plans to host an open house of sorts sometime this summer to allow the public to walk through the building before it’s turned over to the new
owner.

In the meantime, the district will make plans to relocate certain items from the grounds, like the bell tower outside the front entrance. Terpenning said the district will make new space within one of their existing buildings for robotics teams as well. The teams have been utilizing former office space and the gymnasium at the middle school in recent years.

In February, a two-party sale agreement between the school and district was finalized. The marketing and bidding process was overseen by attorney Gary Fletcher, whose firm works with both entities.

The sellers agreement calls for 75 percent of the sale’s net proceeds to go to the school district with the village receiving the remaining 25 percent.

The former Middle School has been mostly vacant since middle schools classes were moved to the elementary and high schools in 2016 as part of a reorganization plan.

In other meeting matters:

•Kevin Miller, RESA superintendent, presented the agency’s 2021-22 budget which the board went on to approve

•members approved the district calendar for the 2021-22 school year. The plan is very similar to the current year’s schedule. August 24, 2021 will be the first day of class with June 2, 2022, being the anticipated last day of the year

•a two-year contract with the Capac Education Association was approved by the board. Details about the terms of the contract will be forthcoming, Terpenning said.

The district is in talks with the remaining employee groups, he noted.