General public resident succumbs to
COVID-19, Lapeer up to 31 deaths
LAPEER COUNTY — For the first time in about two months, Lapeer County has recorded a death from the coronavirus. The news came on Monday from the Lapeer County Health Department. The person who died was considered a member of the general public. That pushes the county’s virus death toll to 31—20 among residents of long-term care facilities and 11 among the general public. Lapeer County last reported a coronavirus death in mid-May.
As of Monday, July 13, Lapeer County had 272 confirmed cases, 55 probable cases and 161 considered to be recovered. The total case number reflects an increase of 10 in one week’s time.
“The trend is definitely not headed in the direction we would hope. Please don’t let down your guard,” Lapeer County Health Department Director Kathy Haskins said.
“We need to continue to adhere to the social distancing and wearing masks as we go about our daily business.”
Locally, the virus caused an Imlay City restaurant to temporarily close its doors last week.
On Friday, July 10, Haskins said an employee at Lucky’s Steakhouse had tested positive for COVID-19 and that management and health department officials were working collaboratively to mitigate the issue.
“The business is voluntarily closing this evening (she wrote on Friday) to ensure that a thorough cleaning of the facility can be accomplished, and employees who worked closely with the positive case will be quarantined,” she said.
Haskins advises that those who were at the restaurant on Thursday, July 9 or Friday, July 10, may have been exposed and should monitor themselves closely for respiratory symptoms for the next 14 days or they may opt to contact their healthcare provider and be tested.
She noted there are a number of urgent cares in Lapeer County, including one in Imlay City, which provide testing.
According to employees, the restaurant was able to reopen to the public on Saturday.
• • • • •
Haskins also noted federal agencies are warning against the use of hand sanitizers that contain ethanol but have tested positive for methanol contamination. Methanol can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested.
“Methanol is not an acceptable active ingredient for hand sanitizers and must not be used due to its toxic effects,” Haskins said.
Two deaths in St.Clair County
ST. CLAIR COUNTY — The latest numbers from the St. Clair County Health Department, as of July 13, indicate a total of 615 cases. Of those, 511 have recovered, 52 are considered active and 52 have died. That represents an increase of 23 cases and two deaths in the past week.