Gov. Whitmer extends stay at home, delays
organized high school fall sports training
TRI-CITY AREA — All things appear to be on hold, or at least that is how it seems, as high school football organized team activities (OTAs) were slated to get underway this Monday.
However, those plans have since changed as the the state of Michigan is currently under a stay at home order until June 12. It was all set to expire tomorrow (Thursday), only to changed last week.
“Obviously it all depends whether schools are reopened,” Michigan High School Athletic Association spokesperson Geoff Kimmerly said in an article which appeared on M-Live.com. recently. “That is the first thing to remember,” he noted.
“Right now they can have virtual contact. But according to our rules, providing a statewide all-clear occurs, summer activities may resume.
“Up to 15 days of voluntary competition are allowed, and seven of those can be 7-on-7 events,” Kimmerly said. “They will be using school facilities, and if schools are open, our summer activities begin June 1 which is the same as it always is.”
All MHSAA sanctioned spring sports were canceled after it was determined by Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer that all schools statewide stay closed through the completion of the 2019-20 school year.
“Right now we are planning our fall sports season as usual,” Kimmerly went on to say in the article.
Kevin Kissane has been covering high school sports for the Tri-City Times since 1985. When not standing on a field or court with his camera and notepad, he enjoys golf, travel and family. Kevin is a 1980 graduate of Capac High School, and is also a grad of St. Clair Community College and earned a degree in journalism from Central Michigan University.