Never to be forgotten is the day I realized life would be on hold for a while. We had just gotten done with soccer practice on Friday, March 13th and a student came over and said he was told that not only was school closing for a while, but we wouldn’t be able to have practices either. I thought, “No way, he must have misheard. I was told we could still hold practices outside.” That’s how fast things changed that day. And my heart has been breaking for all the senior students that won’t get to finish out the academic year or their high school sports career.

The last of their high school days have been swiped away as they were already adjusting to big changes in their lives. For some, it is leaving behind friends and family as they will be attending college out of state or even hours away; for others it’s getting busy with full-time jobs or perhaps moving out of their parents’ house to begin a life of independence. And like the sound of a record
player needle being dragged across the vinyl, it was halted
in a day.

It’s not just students who’ve had life halted. Those that don’t have what are deemed “essential” jobs, now sit at home trying to keep busy. Thank goodness for internet and social media at this time. At least people can congregate on Zoom for a Friday Happy Hour, safely visit friends from all over and enjoy some laughs, share ideas on how to keep busy and get through this strange new world we have been forced to endure. It’s like living in one of these new alternative universes portrayed on Netflix. Why, by the way once this all started, all the trending movies they put on the list first are about deadly viruses, alien invasions and the end of the world?

Just a week before “Friday the 13th” hit I was in Tampa enjoying a long weekend with one of my dearest friends. I’m so glad we got to spend that time together. We were just hearing about the seriousness of the coronavirus and began sanitizing our hands more frequently than we normally would have. I was nervous to fly but I used the smaller city airports and they weren’t busy at all. After I got back, I was really nervous for 14 days. I kept more to myself, constantly washed my hands (still do) and was hyper-aware of any symptoms that might show up. So far, so good.

This virus has certainly had an impact in more than just a medical way, but emotionally people have learned what is most important to them, who is really there for them and who shares their ideals or fears. Overall, I had hoped this somewhat apocalyptic situation would bring America together, but seems like it’s just another divide in many ways. Life may never really be the same anymore.

Contact Paula at